Monday, November 18, 2013

Week One Complete

Launch Academy week one is complete, and it was a week of learning about code but a lot about myself as well.

Prior to launch academy, my last educational experience was in 2009 at a community college studying computer science.  During that single year of college, I felt like a drone with no real direction on how to learn.

Launch Academy is an extremely intense learning experience, and because there is so much information distributed at once, I was basically forced to figure out how I learn so I can keep up!
I've found that my learning style is a mix of many things spread through the day.  I like to watch a video on a concept, then read about it, then have it explained.  Once I understand a concept, I never forget it.

Another thing I've learned about myself is to not compare my current skillset with the other students, but simply to compare my skillset with the coursework to make sure I'm on track.  Luckily I learned this valuable lesson within a single four hour timespan.  I was working with a student who was further along than myself in his learning, and I got really discouraged that my skills didn't stack up to his.  After a few hours of staring at a blank screen, and some teaching from my mentor, I realized that there are lots of smart people in the world and it's ok to not be the best all the time.  After speaking to my mom, a licensed professional counselor, I now understand that a simple thing like that can take a lifetime for certain people to understand.  Hearing that made me proud that I can learn a hard life lesson in just a few hours and move onto the next trial, whether it be academic or about life.

Until next week, peace out!


No comments:

Post a Comment