Monday, November 25, 2013

Persistance is the key.


This past week at Launch Academy taught me a lot about coding; hashes, arrays, and a lot of other critical topics in computer programming.  One of the main assignments this week was a cash register program that reads products from a csv file, and allows the user to run reports on the data.  This was quite a challenge for me.  Instead of approaching the topic with the techniques we have already learned, I decided to try to build the whole program using OOP ( Object Oriented Programming).  Launch Academy has a tight schedule on assignments so I'm not awarded the luxury of taking my sweet time with a project.  With that in mind, I set myself a personal deadline where I would halt my work using the OOP design.  Unfortunately, I hit my deadline and only had a half working program.  However, I learned quite a few OOP techniques along the way, and felt strongly that if I had a little more time, I could've finished out the cash register.

With my deadline passed, and only 24 hours to finish the assignment, I knew I needed a creative way to solve the problem.  Most of my classmates were using hashes and arrays to store the data, but I wanted to use only a CSV file to store all of the data, and then use the csv file to run reports from.

I went straight to work and was able to tackle a real world programming problem within just a few hours, and it felt amazing!  In a few short weeks, Launch Academy took me from knowing almost nothing to building a completely functioning program on my own.  I can't wait to see what the next 8 weeks bring.

Until next time, adios!


No comments:

Post a Comment