Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My Breakable Toy Project

Today I picked my "Breakable Toy", which is a project I'll use to demonstrate the skills I learned during my time at Launch Academy.  I chose to work on a notepad-like application to help people keep track of things important to them.  I often find myself on the train thinking of or reading about a subject that I want to look up later, when I'm back on my laptop instead of my phone.  Building this web application will enable me and others to keep track of their thoughts.

Technically, my hardest challenges will be designing and building a chrome extension, and designing the site.  The chrome extension will allow a user to highlight a single word or block of text, and export it to the notepad website with one click.  I'll need to build a REST api for the notepad application so that I can send data from the chrome extension back to the website, so this could be a challenging situation.  Due to the complexity of the main website, I will build the chrome extension as the last phase of the development cycle, only after the website is fully functional.
  In terms of design, I intend to use bootstrap 3 and get a great UI kit from the folks at Pixel Kit to help make the design look high quality.  Design is an extremely important topic and one that I will need to study intimately so that my product will be useful to the end user.

It's back to programming for now, so until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment